Video: A Conversation with AccentCare Chief Nursing Officer: How is AccentCare Safeguarding Patients from COVID-19
Slowing the spread of COVID-19, coronavirus, requires we all work together, following the guidance of the CDC and our state public health leaders.
We’d like to take the time to tell you what AccentCare, and our family of companies, is doing to responsibly protect our patients and yours.
First, we are prepared. While no one could predict the rapid emergence of this potential pandemic, AccentCare started internal communications and preparations in January. By late February, it was clear that emergency plans must be activated.
- COVID-19 may or may not change whether a patient qualifies for Home Health care.
- To help you understand how more of your patients may now qualify for Home health, please see this link
Here are some of the preparations underway at AccentCare:
- We are vigilantly following CDC’s communication and guidance
- Extensive training according to role and job
- No matter the role, all AccentCare employees are required to complete training based on the CDC’s coronavirus fact sheets.
- Caregivers, field personnel, and those that are involved with the facilitation of care are required to complete job-specific training including proper use of PPE.
- We have incorporated screening questions in our intake and patient encounters. Those screenings are hardwired into Homecare Homebase, our medical record.
- We have repeatedly communicated the utmost importance of hygiene.
- We are tracking our own employees’ exposure and risk, and taking steps to limit their interactions when necessary.
- Before each home visit:
- Our caregivers call ahead to assess if there is a risk of entering the home
- Perform a self-symptom check and attest to such in HomecareHomebase, our electronic medical record.
- Before each home visit:
Does AccentCare utilize telehealth or telemedicine?
Accentcare and its family of brands today do use telehealth and telemonitoring in support of the ongoing care of our patients. AccentCare evaluates patients according to defined criteria to determine appropriateness for either telemonitoring or telehealth solutions. Those workstreams and pathways are unimpacted by COVID-19. Accentcare, in anticipation of an increased telehealth utilization, is well into the deployment of increased telehealth and telemonitoring capacity.
What do you need to do differently?
Our processes are hardwired to intake new patients with a coronavirus travel and symptoms screening. However, if you are aware of any clinical information that would help us best care for the patient; we welcome that through accepted clinical information transfer, or in the order.
Likewise, we will be in communication with you, as we always are, when there is a change in the patient’s condition.
Thank you for trusting AccentCare with your patients. We are honored to work alongside you as we face the coronavirus challenge together as a unified medical community.